Authorities have now confirmed that the 2 people that died during the Electric Zoo festival last month in August were in fact caused by overdoses of MDMA better known as “Molly”. The popular party drug that is said to be a more pure form of Ecstasy, but in reality is more dangerous. Both Jeffrey Russ (age 23) & Olivia Rotondo (only 20 smh) died after taking fatal doses of the drug, but the NYC Medical Examiner’s Office added that methylone, which has similar effects as MDMA, was also found in Russ’ system.
According to Gothamist, the medical examiner said that Russ’ death was a result of “acute intoxication by the combined effects of methylenedioxymethamphetimine (MDMA) and methylone with hyperthermia.” Rotondo’s death, on the other hand, was due to “acute intoxication by the combined effects of methylenedioxymethamphetimine (MDMA) with hypothermia.”
Health officials started to suspect that a poisonous batch of the drug was responsible for the deaths, as well as several others in the Northeast region, but this has not been confirmed